"The market buildings are hard to track for those of us that work here on a regular basis, and very challenging for all of our visitors…The survey was very thorough, and included suggestions of how to tackle the numerous complex issues that challenge an older historic facility…We would highly recommend Endelman & Associates for any ADA survey work due to their high level of skill in this area, and their professional attitude."
Rob Hyman, Capital Projects Coordinator, Pike Place MarketRead more...
Michael B. Schneider, AIA, CASp
Mr. Schneider has an extensive architectural background, with over 30 years Project Management experience which he applies to all his work at E&A. In addition, he has multiple years of experience working specifically with various Building Codes, Accessibility Compliance and technical issues. Since 2009 he has used these and other skills as principal of his own architecture, construction, and real estate consulting firm. Services included property condition assessments, accessibility consulting, insurance claims, construction claims, owner representation, project management, and value engineering. His clients included Argosy Cruise Lines, Morgan Stanley, Bank of America, Farmers Insurance, Renomics, and Skagit Valley Community College.
He is a licensed Architect in WA, OR, NV, and CA, and a CASp (Certified Access Specialist) in California.
For 11 years, he was Vice President, Northwest Regional Manager at Marx / Okubo Associates, Inc., a firm specializing in property condition assessments. As Vice President, Mr. Schneider was in charge of the administration, management, and technical quality assurance of 15 employees with sales revenue of $3.2M. Building surveys typically included ADA compliance in addition to other building conditions. Clients included TIAA-CREF, Kennedy Associates Real Estate Counsel, The Sobrato Organization, Morgan Stanley, Northwestern Mutual, Farmers Insurance, Scanlan Kemper Bard, Harsch Investment Properties, Essex, Equity Residential, University of Washington Real Estate, US Bank, and Key Bank.
At Heery International for 9 years, Mr. Schneider was Director of Architecture / Construction Program Manager / Senior Associate. He had administrative responsibility for technical and support staff, including contracting, and business development. Technical responsibilities included architectural design and construction management, as well as quality assurance, constructability, and value analysis. Clients included the University of Washington, Seattle University, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Bank of America, Virginia Mason Hospital, and NIKE.
Education, Licenses, Boards, & Affiliations
- Licensed Architect in California (1983), Washington (1992), and Oregon (2008), NV #7341
- Post Graduate Certificate, Housing for the Developing Countries – École Polytechnique Fédérale, Lausanne, Switzerland (1980)
- Master of Architecture, University of Illinois (1978)
- Master of Business Administration, University of Illinois (1979)
- BA in Architecture, University of Illinois (1976)
- California - CASp (Certified Access Specialist) #583
- Member American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards
- Society of American Value Engineers, SAVE International
- United States Green Building Council, LEED Accredited Professional
- YMCA of Greater Seattle, Board of Managers, Facilities Committee
- St. Andrew’s Housing Group, Board Member, Asset Management Committee
Significant Architectural & Project Management Projects
Recent Representative Accessibility Project Experience
- Confidential Client Large ADA Survey Project - ADA Surveys for Accessibility Compliance of 14 properties in California, including high-rise office buildings, retail shopping centers, industrial buildings and other buildings. Buildings were as large as 1.5 million sq. ft. Proposed solutions included meeting the more stringent 2010 California Building Code as applicable.
- Wood Partners - Project Manager / Senior Consultant for the FHA / ADA Accessibility Survey and report for Alta Roxbury in Dallas, TX, a 240 unit multifamily apartment project.
- Confidential Client - Performed a site visit of a multi-unit housing property to “shadow” a DOJ designated FHA / ADA Consultant, who was performing an FHA / ADA Survey of representative units and common use areas at the particular point in the construction as part of a DOJ lawsuit. The purpose of this task was to provide our client, who was in the middle of a real estate transaction, an early alert (due diligence) to items that DOJ believes to be non-compliant.
- Simpson Housing – Accessibly Site observation survey for compliance with the FHA / ADA / OSSC of The Matisse in Portland, OR, a 274 unit multifamily apartment project.
- American Realty Advisors – Site survey for compliance with FHA / ADA of a confidential 186 unit multifamily housing project in Houston, TX. Following the site survey, an estimate of costs to correct the deficiencies was prepared.
- Inland Construction – Accessibility Design Reviews of multiple senior housing project in Spokane, Tacoma, Boise, Lafayette, CO. The review evaluated whether the design conformed to Fair Housing, the 2010 Americas with Disabilities Act Standard, ANSI, and the 2009 International Building Code with Washington Amendments (WAC 51-50).
- Confidential Hotel Client – Performed ADA Surveys using both 2010 ADA Standards and 1991 Standards with E&A as sub-consultant to Evan Terry Associates for 10 hotel properties to date in multiple states.
- Equity Residential – Due Diligence FHA / ADA Surveys of two apartment buildings in Los Angeles
- Humphreys & Partners, Architects - multiple Accessibility Design Reviews (plan reviews)